Friday, October 2, 2009

Enjoy a Safe Chocolate Cake

It can be frustrating for a child with a milk allergy to not be able to partake in cakes at birthday parties. When I first found out my daughter had allergies to milk, eggs, peanuts, sesame and mustard it was close to her 1st birthday. And I thought, what am I going to make for a cake if I can't use eggs?

I was determined to make a great cake for her very first birthday. On this mission to find the best cake recipe that was milk, egg, and peanut free, I was a little frustrated because none of them came out that great. For her very first birthday cake, I made a Busy Day Cake which was pretty good for a vanilla cake. The Busy Day cake became the only cake I made all of the time.

And although it was a great cake, I really wanted to find a tasty chocolate cake recipe.

Fortunatley, after trying various cake recipes I have found a great chocolate cake recipe I just had to share with you. The recipe is on the back of the Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa container.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Hershey's "Especially Dark" Chocolate Cake
2 c. sugar
1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs substitute below
( 3 tbsp. oil, 3 tbsp. water and 2 tsp. baking powder stirred together)=2 eggs
1 c. soy milk
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. boiling water

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans. 2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add egg substitute for 2 eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans. 3. Bake 30-35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with "Especially dark Chocolate Frosting." 10-12 servings.

Especially Dark Chocolate Frosting
1/2 c. of milk free butter ( I use Smart Balance "Light")
Note: Smart Balance Original contains whey or milk
2/3 c. Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa
3 c. powdered sugar
1/3 c. soy milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount of additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 c. of frosting.

Stay well, stay safe and be brave.

Debra Denhart
























No comments:

Post a Comment